Thursday, April 26, 2012

Independent Component 2

Independent Comp. 2 Calendar

I Griselda Solis affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work. Throughout 2nd semester, I have been going to my elective which is Peer Mediation, and we have been working on mediation; mediations are what we do whenever two people are having some type of conflict but can't resolve it themselves. What we as mediators do is have both people tell their part of the story and throughout the mediation attempt to come up with an agreement that both parties will be happy with. This relates to my senior project because these mediations are very similar to what a psychologist does, they try to help their patients with their problems and just with a psychologist, whoever we mediate and whatever is said during the mediation is completely confidential. And in psychology confidentiality is a very important factor because if confidentiality is broken then that psychologist will lose their license.
During Peer Mediation we have simulations of mediations, so we get into groups and we 'mediate' each other with made up scenarios, this gives us practice for whenever we would have an actual mediation.
Aside from my elective, I also have been taking notes on books or movies that have to deal with psychology, for example one book I have read is called Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax. This book was really helpful for me because it explained how females and males are different in every aspect, like in the brain, how we hear things, see things, etc. and this is something that is very important to know for anyone that wishes to be a psychologist because this better helps them treat their patients; which also helps them become more successful.


BOOK: Girls Against Girls (Notes)





BOOK: Why Gender Matters (A few notes)


Our personal overview of Peer Mediation:


No comments:

Post a Comment